Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Post 3/100 Unexpected Heroes

The Phillies are in the playoffs. Tied at 0-0 in the bottom of the 7th. The manager from the other team intentionally walks a man to make sure Ben Francisco is going to bat. Who is Ben Franciso? Well, he is a journey man player. He has been with several teams. He hasn't hit a home run in 4 1/2 months. Play and simple he is not that good. Decent player but not the person you dream of being in that spot. With 2 people on base, he hits a 3 run game winning home run. One of the most unlikely heroes. As Phillies' fans will remember Matt Stairs also a journey man hit a home run two years ago to win the game.

I love sports because it reflects life in many ways. Unlikely heroes appear in our lives as well. People who are in your lives for an instant but leave a deep impression in your lives. We live our lives and many times we think that we do not do anything major because we don't see the lasting affects. We choose not to talk to this man or do something for somebody, when maybe our words make an huge impression on them.

I guess for me. My unlikely hero was this man in the neighborhood. My mom had a store in a bad neighborhood. North Philly in the Huntington park area. I was about 6 years old. Sitting at the counter and the lunch rush had come and gone. A kid about 16-18 come in . I look at him. He was huge. Tall, lean and lanky. Nobody was around. I think my mom was in the back cleaning up. He goes over the counter and steals a box of 3 Musketeer bars and Carton of Newports. He runs out. About 20 minutes later, I see a man coming into our store. A grizzly, old black man comes in. He is just holding a bunch of candy bars and a gun in his waist.Like a Ghetto Cowboy.

I guess that was the moment I had faith in people. I never really lost that faith. Sure, I'm cynical alot.But every time I think about that moment it makes me think of the kindness of people. Maybe God put them there to watch over you. I believe people will rally around others and help, but heroes are not just people who rescue you.

 They maybe that person who gives you a word of encouragement, a conversation to spark your imagination, a person who keeps your sanity intact or a mentor.

Unlikely heroes come out of every place, we just have to recognize when they are there.

1 comment: