Sunday, February 13, 2011

Victory!!!

Victories are awesome everyone knows that. Nobody dreams of being the loser. Kids dont play in the backyard and dream of losing in the Superbowl. Big Victories are hard to come by. The small ones keep you living and eventually take you to the big ones. We all are need of small victories in life. It can come in the form of the kids going to bed early, no traffic on your way home, some food unexpectedly coming your way, getting in touch with a friend you haven't talk to in a long. For me the little victories are the most important they keep you hopeful and sane. They make you positive and you can take joy in them. Most of the time they are looked over.

When they say "All I do is Win!" Pretty much thats bullshit. We all take Ls(Losses).  How are you gonna take that L and learn from it. Asking the question, "How can I move forward?"





A couple of months ago, I needed a win. I was in some turmoil in my life and felt like everything was piling in on me. I needed a win, any kind of win would have been sufficient. After church, we go to this ramen place. They cook authentic Japanese ramen. They have a ramen eating challenge. If you eat four bowls of ramen in 20 minutes, the food was free and they would put your photo on the wall. I was determined to have any kind of victory that day. I took the challenge. I was pretty hyped up for it. The bowls were about the size of 1/2 a basketball. They had noodles, meat and an egg. The four bowls come out and they come out hot like a sauna. I took the strategy of eating the noodles first, then the eggs and the soup for the last leg of the race. Timer starts and BANG!!! I kill the noodles in like 4 minutes. Im good, but my tongue and the top of my mouth was burned because it was so hot. It was pretty delicious, so it helped. I then eat the eggs and Im still on good time. Now, it was time for the soup. I was pretty hot, but a friend of mine was fanning me so that helped as well. People were rooting "Dan VS Food" and the encouragement helps. It was on to the last part of the race THE SOUP. I pretty much killed the first two bowls of soup. I was feeling pretty nasty at that point. My stomache was full of liquid. My stomache was telling me to quit. I told my stomache to SHUT UP. I combined the next two bowls of soup. I started drinking the soup. As I was drinking it, I was looking into the bowl and the soup built a film of grease on top of the soup. It was coming at me like an avalanche. I put the soup down for a second and doubted myself for a split second. I took one last breath and finished the task with about 7 minutes remaining.

It felt glorious. It really wasnt a big deal, but you know what. It felt mad good to win at something especially when you feel like your in a losing streak.

Before the Challenge and it says I finished in 14 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment