Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Prayers

So although there is a Valentines Poster. This is not a Heart day post. I just thought it was funny. I guess I am going to write about prayer. The power of prayer. In the Bible, men have shown how they can build an intimate relationship with God.  I have been struggling with prayer all my life. I would sit there and not know what to pray for. I wouldn't know what I needed or what God wanted me to pray for. Sure most of my prayers were selfish and self glorifying. (Sidenote: Isn't that the most assholish thing youve heard. I am praying and I am still looking out for my own good. ) I knew through years of church that prayer is about relationship with God. Talking to Him. Knowing Him. Feeling Him.  But I felt like talking to God was like talking to my real father. God was being unattentive, stoic and down right didn't care. Part of me knows thats not true at all, but another part of me thinks that way.

I think, since I have come to accept Christ, prayer has been the biggest obstacle in my relationship. This year I was determined to change that. I said that the first things that I would think about was God and at night I would go over the day with the Lord. I like it when someone talks about their day and all of the things that come with that day. Why wouldn't God want to hear that from me? Its been almost a month into this year. My prayer life is the best it has ever been. Is it easy? No. I still struggle to find time sometimes. But I recognize what I need to do. If I don't try to find that time, I can't expect God to find that time for me. I know what to pray for. I know how to talk to God. I know God a little bit better.

I also know that all I can do is my best with the time that I have. But since I've been spending that time with God. God has become like a lover. He has been consuming my thoughts. I think of Him. He has been changing not only what I think about Him, but about His people too. Praise for the Lord has been coming out of my mouth more. I think more faith has been developing. Knowing that this whole life thing we see is just God's story. The movie is not over with Jesus. This is part 3. Return of the Jedi. The Return of the King.

I have a friend going to Afghanistan doing a second tour. I prayed and asked God why? I was really stressed about it, but I met this army guy yesterday. He said that his army buddies were talking about how it has taken 10 years for us to get revenge for 9/11 and we had to go to this foreign land. But the guy told me that it was God's plan to open up Afghanistan. So people will know His name and people will know Him in all of the nations. I was blown away. I remembered that God has a purpose for all of us. No matter how small our contribution. God will ease our pains and give us understanding. Ask for it and be persistent. God will answer Prayers.


1 comment: